Friday, January 6, 2012

Our Second Christmas in the House

This Christmas was a little different than last year. I decorated more, for one thing. We had more finished (or semi-finished) rooms. It was also nice to be able to do a lot of baking in the kitchen. Having a kitchen table again definitely helped! I think I made over 25 dozen cookies (some of which I brought around to our neighbors).
And this isn't even all of them! I think I made about twice as many as shown in this picture!
We (and by we I mean me) decided to change things up this year and put the tree in front of the front windows. I love being able to see the tree from the street (which you couldn't really do.. oh well.. you could see it a little!). I've also been wanting to try out a different furniture layout in the room. We moved the loveseat to in front of the fireplace. I like it. R doesn't. I think it makes the room feel larger. The only downside (according to me) is that the coffee table is a little awkward because of the tree.. it can't be centered on the couch, so it's just kinda hanging out in the middle of the room.

I especially loved being able to decorate in the kitchen. Last year at an after-Christmas sale we got these two artificial trees for $2 each. The garland was about $1.
I think this was one of my favorite things in the house this Christmas. I could never seem to get a really good picture of it though.. It looked awesome when all of the rest of the lights in the room were turned off though!

This year at an after-Christmas sale we bough some night pewter and white candles to put in the windows (for $1 each!). We're considering keeping them up all year long. There's another center chimney house across town that does this and I've loved it ever since I was little.


  1. Christmas lights & a christmas dog! I hope you got the wiring sorted before moving in - we had a terrible nightmare with ours shorting out and a burning smell which turned out to mean a complete overhaul. We got the best electricians in bedford to sort it but eek it was scary!

  2. What a beautiful home! I enjoy seeing what you have done, and it's an inspiration to me. My husband and I bought a 1920 farmhouse and we're currently renovating it (family and friends thought we were nuts, but we love old homes). Our To-Do list is long, and there have been a lot of problems along the way, but seeing the progress you have made is encouraging. Thank you for sharing your story and pictures of progress. Good luck!

  3. Thank you! I love farmhouses! Do you have a blog? I'm so glad that I started this blog early on. It's so much fun to look back on things. It actually helps when you're getting frustrated with a project, or the house in general, to be able to go back and look at what it looked like before you started. I do this often with our kitchen. I take one look at what it looked like when we bought it and realize that anything is better than that!

    I'm glad to hear you're enjoying reading my blog!