Sunday, November 21, 2010

Microwave Install

Today R and my dad installed our over-the-range microwave. It is a Kenmore 30" Microwave Combo, Model 8503. We decided to have it vent to the outside, because in our last 2 apartments we have had range vents that vented back into the room and were very unhappy with both of them. The first one would constantly set off the smoke detector, and the second one was just useless.. it wouldn't do anything with the steam, smoke or heat. And we had the perfect opportunity to vent to the outside here.


In order to accomplish that, we had to cut into the wall that we just drywalled. Praying that we weren't cutting into an electrical chase (seriously, with all of the pictures I take, I couldn't have ONE picture that showed where the electrical chases were?!?), R and my dad cut a hole and discovered brick.
It wasn't too difficult for them to cut through the brick, and then through the exterior siding. It was actually a lot easier than they had originally envisioned. The new venting went in with almost no problems, and soon the new microwave was installed. It took roughly 2 1/2 hours from start to finish. Very impressive!
This microwave is amazing. I've only used it twice so far, but wow. I'm so impressed! It's extremely quiet, both the microwave and the exhaust vent. The defrost feature is the best defrost feature I have ever come across! It defrosted ground beef in a minute, perfectly, whereas our old OTR microwave would have taken about 8 minutes or more. The interior is huge... there is the standard turntable and also a metal rack (not sure about that... I thought metal wasn't suppose to be in a microwave?). And you can't beat the price. It was approximately $215! That price is more like what you'd pay for a counter microwave! I just hope that it lasts us a long time! Oh, and for me, the OCD member of this family, it matches PERFECTLY to the range.. love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment